Act Five cares about its home and property! The Property & Maintenance Labourer is someone who would be eager to step into the life of Act Five and care for this small pocket of land. This would involve a willingness to learn on the job while caring for gardens and outdoor spaces, tending to tasks on and in the house, taking on projects with support from Act Five’s Property Manager and more. Additionally, this person would be an active member of the Act Five community, contributing to its activities in the home and neighbourhood.
Hours of Work: Full time (35 hours/week) for 16 weeks, beginning May 6, 2024.
*Opportunity to extend contract beyond the summer in a part-time capacity.
Reports to: Program Manager
- Outdoor property upkeep of the Act Five Residence including but not limited to grass cutting, tidying sheds, yard, and patio; and maintaining the cleanliness of the property
- Building maintenance including but not limited to replacing light bulbs and fuses, fixing leaky taps, painting, and other small repairs
- Ensure weekly and monthly waste protocols are followed
- Maintain the security of the Act Five residence by checking for locked doors and windows, lighting, and tracking resident vehicles.
- Report major home issues to the Property Manager (burst pipe, fire, broken windows/doors, etc.)
- For larger projects, work with the Property Manager to learn new skills and help them with the task
- Vegetable gardening (preparation, sowing, weeding, watering, harvesting, and sharing).
- Help with the move-in and move-out of summer tenants
- Learn to complete bed bug checks and implement Act Five’s bed bug prevention protocol
- Assist with various home and neighbourhood initiatives in collaboration with the Residence Manager, such as community barbecues or neighbourhood clean-up days
- Participate in weekly ‘Spaghetti Wednesday’ meals at the Act Five residence, and commit to being an active member of the Act Five summer community.
Skills & Abilities:
- Employees must demonstrate an ability to work independently and be organized.
- Gardening, landscaping, property and home maintenance skills are an asset.
- Preference will be given to candidates with the ability to reside onsite at the Act Five residence in downtown Hamilton. Reduced rent will be offered to those that can meet this expectation.
Minimum high school diploma and some level of previous experience in the area of property maintenance, repair, construction, landscaping, or related field. Prior experience with the Act Five program or residence is beneficial.
Salary: $18.50/hourly, pending funding. Residence at 75 Blake St preferred.
To Apply: Send resume, cover letter and 2 references to email@example.com by April 1, 2024