Church on the Rock
Experience the Adventure
Type: The role is a full-time, temporary position of 35 hours per week on average but may vary from week to week, as needed. It is expected that you will manage the variability of this average work week. This contract is for a period of 12 weeks (pending CSJ approval) from May 9–July 31, 2024.
Reports to: Youth Director
Overview of the Organization:
Church on the Rock (COTR) is a vibrant, young at heart church passionate about reaching and transforming lives on the Hamilton Mountain. Our church is evangelical, Bible-based, pursuing the leading of the Spirit.
The summer camp director, reporting to the youth director, is responsible for leading the summer camp staff and volunteer team in the creation and implementation of a fun and engaging summer camp for kids in elementary school (Grades 1–5).
Planning for Summer Camp
- Planning and preparation of fun, engaging and age-appropriate programming for four weeks of summer camp.
- Plan for and implement onboarding, training and support of camp staff and volunteers.
2. Implementing Summer Camp
- In collaboration with camp staff and volunteers, implement all pre-planned programming including craft, games, lessons, etc.
- Ensure all program supplies are available when needed.
- In collaboration with the youth director, camp coordinators and adult volunteers, manage behaviour of campers, as needed.
- Participate in regular debriefs, celebrating wins and exploring opportunities for improvement with the rest of the camp staff team.
3. Summer Camp Staff & Volunteer Oversight
- In collaboration with the youth director, recruit and train camp staff and/or volunteers.
- Ensure that camp staff and volunteers have the information and resources that they need to accomplish the work set before them.
- Listen to and bring feedback from the youth director to the camp staff team; facilitate discussions around next steps and/or follow-up, as needed.
Experience working in a camp environment and/or a vocational setting is an asset.
Experience with leading and/or participating in team-based vocational, educational or ministry activities.
Interpersonal Skills and Personal Attributes:
- Excellent people skills and the ability to communicate easily with all ages.
- Proven ability to work cooperatively with all levels of management, staff and volunteers.
- A self-starter with the ability to work independently.
- Very reliable with the ability to take initiative, define problems and recommend/implement solutions.
- Able to multi-task, prioritize, meet deadlines in a timely and efficient manner, and work well in a busy environment.
Follower of Jesus Christ who wholeheartedly subscribes to Church on the Rock’s Statement of Faith and Partnership Requirements.
COTR considers its reputation with its church family and the broader public its greatest asset. Accordingly, employees are expected to be professional, competent, and ethical at all times. We expect all COTR staff to comply with COTR’s policies as introduced and administered during the course of their employment and to lead by example through seeking to abide by the spirit of our Partnership Requirements.
For more information and/or to submit your application, please click HERE.