Elliott Heights Baptist Church- Larch After School Program
We are going into in our tenth year of our ‘Young Authors’ Project’.
Our goal for this project is for each student to write at least one story that will be published in our finished work at the end of our school year.
At the beginning of each school year, we separate our students into groups, and make a plan for each individual group according to their writing level/abilities.
We review basic writing skills: parts of speech, setting, character and plot. Then each student is given the opportunity to create their own story.
They work for the rest of the year completing their story on our Google Classroom.
Every few weeks, we evaluate and edit their stories with them.
In late spring, we compile each story into a bound book called ‘The Hidden Corners of Our Imagination’.
At our year end party during our closing ceremony each student receives a copy of their published work.
Students are honoured to receive their copy of the book.
• To work closely with a small group of children grades 3 to 8 on creative writing activities and to develop a story.
• To develop relationships with young children (grades 3 to 8).
• To interact with children as they arrive and leave the program.
• To debrief with the team regarding the day’s events.
A DAY AT LARCH:
Our program takes place every Tuesday & Thursday
beginning end of September and ends in early June.
2:45–3:00 Volunteers arrive at the Community House
3:10 –3:35 Arrive at the Community House for a free time
3:30–4:00 Healthy Snacks
4:00–5:00 Tutoring time in the areas of reading , math, creative writing and C.P.R (Caring, Purpose, Responsibility)
5:00-5:25 Homework Assistance, Indoor Board Games or Crafts, Outdoor Games, Sports, etc.
5:25–5:30 Parent Pick-up or student walks home
5:30–6:15 Volunteer Debriefing Time
Please note that a volunteer training will take place before our program start date.
• We require a recent vulnerable sector police check.
• You may want to volunteer in more than one area. Please view our other volunteer positions accessible on this site.
To apply for this job please visit larch.elliottheights.ca.