Grace Church West Hill
Grace Camp Director
Purpose: To direct and oversee all aspects of the Camp Ministry of Grace Church, and to be directly involved in the VBS.
Responsible/Accountable to: Director of Family Ministries, Director of Student Ministries
Candidates for the Camp Director position will:
A. Be a problem solver;
B. Have a capacity to multi-task in a busy ministry setting;
C. Combine an attention for administrative detail with an understanding of organizational systems, workflow, events, and activities;
D. Be above moral reproach, showing Christ in attitude and lifestyle; and
E. Have a personal relationship with and commitment to Jesus Christ, and a passion to serve Him;
F. Exhibit a Christ-like love for children and their families;
G. Experience working with children;
H. Enjoy interacting with church members, families, parents, youth, and children, as well as the community at large, and will be upbeat and relational;
I. Have a passion and understanding for the vision of Grace Camps and VBS;
J. Have the heart of a servant of Jesus Christ, appreciating a role in serving the team and church to move forward the mission of the church;
K. Have good computer skills.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
I. Camp Programs
A. Camp: To oversee all aspects of the camp program (Biblical content and spiritual tone, activities, health & safety, camp rules and regulations)
B. Staff Training and Team Meetings
II. Staff Oversight
A. Hiring: Overseeing the Hiring Process
1. Leaders (4 paid staff)
2. Volunteers (Adult/Student)
3. Training: To personally train the Leaders and Volunteers (Primary Resource: Grace Camp Manual)
1. To assist the staff in setting goals;
2. To provide ongoing encouragement to, and evaluation of Leaders prior to, during, and after camp;
3. To ensure that the Leaders are doing ongoing evaluation with the Student Volunteers.
A. Budgets and Invoices: Following the approved budget for the current year and working with the Director of Family Ministries and Director of Student Ministries to keep the budget and to ensure the payment of invoices, transfer of itemized receipts to Bookkeeper, providing financial updates to the Director of Family Ministries and Director of Student Ministries.
B. Paid Staff: To assist in the administrative aspect of the hiring process along with the Camp Ministry Team (mailing and collection of applications, reference checks, setting up job interviews, entrance interviews [re: expectations, staff contracts, payment schedule]).
C. Staff Manual: To update Camp Manual in preparation for the new season.
D. Camper Fees: To collaborate in the collection of camper fees, camper scholarships.
E. Correspondence (emails and communications): Work with Director of Family Ministries to ensure proper information is getting parents.
1. Communicating special events for Student Volunteer Staff
2. Communicating with families, week-to-week
F. Camp Flyer: development and printing
1. Clean-up camp at camp’s end
2. Photo slideshow
3. Gifts for staff
IV. Liaison & Resource Person: To be a liaison and resource person, on behalf of the Camp Ministry Team to the campers and their families, Staff, Grace congregation, neighbourhood and wider camp community.
Requirements (The ideal candidate would have):
1. B.A. in a field related to youth and/or camp, or near completion
2. At least 3 years of involvement with camping or children/youth ministries
3. Experience leading, mentoring, and supervising a team
4. Experience in jobs requiring strong customer service skills a plus
5. Familiarity with Grace or Grace Camps a plus, but not required
6. An awareness of and sensitivity to the needs of children and families
7. A current clear Police records check
1. Able to work effectively in a multi-staff, team setting (collaboration)
2. Able to work independently
3. Excellent oral and written communication skills
4. Proficient computer-related skills
Terms of Appointment:
Minimum of a 6-month commitment and 40 hours a week starting in May, and part time from March to May.
$22.50 per hour depending on experience and related training.
Please drop off resumes to the front office of Grace Church (447 Port Union Rd., Toronto, ON, M1C 2L6), Tuesday to Friday, between 9:00am and 4:00pm, or email resumes to email@example.com. For further questions please do so by email. The deadline for resumes is February 17, 2023.