Indwell is a Christian charity that creates affordable housing
FT Assistant Behaviour Therapist- Hamilton Apartments- Hamilton Do you have a heartfelt motivation to facilitate your behaviour therapy skills in encouraging others to take profound steps on their life journey? If this is you, we want you to join our interdisciplinary team in our commitment to transform lives through HOPE and HOMES. Working from a whole-person-care approach, you are empowered to focus on enlightening individuals with positive behaviour change that affects who they are. Ultimately, their self-awareness working to improve their overall quality of life. About Indwell: We are Christian charity creating affordable housing communities that support people seeking health, wellness, and belonging. Founded more than 40 years ago, Indwell supports over 850 people in south and southwestern Ontario. You will be fulfilled working together with others who are genuinely invested in Indwell’s mission to serve people impacted by poverty and homelessness. To learn more, go to: indwell.ca/our-model What our Behaviour Therapist says: “What I really like about being a Behaviour Therapist at Indwell is that I have the ability to be creative and try new things. Staff are supportive and willing to try new things to support our residents. Everyone is ready to learn about behaviour and implement interventions at the drop of a hat. We brainstorm as a team to come up with creative solutions for residents. And in just 6 months we have seen drastic changes in our residents.” Position Description: Working with the Hamilton Apartments team, as the Behaviour Therapist, you will be responsible to provide tenants in Indwell’s independent living apartments with supports that help people maintain health and housing. Developing and implementing behaviour programs. And training and coaching all program staff in the application of these programs in connection with the overall support plans of tenants, from a whole-person and evidenced-based approach. Hours of Work: Full time weekdays, including weekends, public holidays, and evenings. Hours worked to be scheduled as required by program needs. This position will be responsible for participating in the on-call rotation. Duties For This Position Include:
- Team work- partner with other program staff and tenants in a participatory, collaborative and coordinated approach to shared decision-making around health issues
- On-site housing support—work with team in on site, in-apartment assessments and intervention to support long term stable homes through effective health care. Utilizing positive behaviour strategies, when possible, to encourage the safety and wellbeing of staff and program participants.
- Health promotion in behaviour therapy – Enabling people to increase control over and improve their health using upstream thinking and solutions including teaching and prevention.
- Mental health crisis and suicidality –NVCI (Non Violent Crisis Intervention), ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills), SafeTalk, other assessments as relevant.
- Education and behaviour support/teaching – Planning and facilitating programs around behaviour management, emotion regulation, and wellbeing.
- Relationship building – Building long-term therapeutic relationships with tenants, recovery oriented approach, trauma informed care, promoting hope and trust.
- Critical thinking – Evidence based practice, influence policy and program development, identify relevant and appropriate sources of information.
- System navigation – Maintain connection and familiarity with available health and wellness resources offered outside Indwell.
- Advocacy – Using evidence to influence policy and practice, supporting tenants to promote well-being as defined by the person; occasional planning and participation in health appointments.
Skills: Experience working with individuals with serious mental illness, addictions or other special needs. Having a knowledge of the principles of behaviour analysis, have skills designing, implementing and evaluating behaviour intervention plans, and supporting a team of staff. Demonstrating a warm, sensitive and caring approach, the ability to work on a team and independently, be flexible, organized, responsible, and take initiative. Must have strong communication and problem-solving skills, being able to maintain good interpersonal relationships. As well as having a genuine interest in supporting people living with mental illness. A knowledge of local community resources and support systems is beneficial. Demonstrated skill in behaviour therapy, observation, data collection and documentation. Education/Experience: BCABA, BCBA, or other Diploma or Degree from an accredited college or university in Behaviour Science Technology/Therapy or related field. Experience in behaviour programing – developing, implementing and assessing, in an applied setting (education, health, developmental disability). Remuneration: $48,700-56,900 annual salary based on education and experience. Indwell offers a competitive benefits package and RRSP contribution. To Apply: Please apply online with resume and cover letter at www.indwell.ca/careers. We thank all applicants, however, only applicants that are being considered will be contacted. Personal information submitted will be used only for employment opportunities within Indwell in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Indwell’s Employment Accommodation policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. Indwell exists to provide hope and homes for all. Our supports, services, and employment are open to people from every creed, race, ethnicity, sex, ability, sexual orientation, and gender identity. Indwell’s leadership are motivated by the example of Jesus Christ as reflected in Indwell’s statement of faith. Indwell engages with diverse communities; we actively identify and remove barriers that prevent people from accessing and participating in our services and organization.