Pleasant Bay Camp
Away from home, relational, safe , faith-centred & particpatory
Pleasant Bay Camp, Kids’ Summer Camp Manager
Pleasant Bay Kids camp located in the heart of Prince Edward County is surrounded by the magnificent waterfront of Lake Ontario. Join our dynamic summer team to embrace a new adventure where you can explore your faith, gain work experience, and build life-long relationships.
You will have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of young people every day; to invest in their development and watch them grow in their faith. The camp provides a set-apart space that facilitates a relational encounter between the self, the other and God while incorporating our values; unplugged from home, relational, safe space, faith centered and participatory.
The Summer Camp Manager will be the key point person for PBC Kids’ Camp from early Spring to late Summer, 2023. This full-time contract position will have the first few weeks being focused on preparing for the launch of camp, including building relationships with local churches, developing leaders, recruiting volunteers and promoting the camp’s summer program to families in the local community. The overseeing of all facets of the summer launch will be in partnership with and under the guidance of the PBC Board of Directors. This person will have overall responsibility for all aspects of the site ensuring participation in and alignment with the mission, vision, and values of PBC.
✔ To be a fully devoted follower of Christ, living with character and integrity.
✔ Fully aligned with the mission, vision, and values of PBC
✔ Strong (or demonstrating the potential to be strong) in each one of the 5 PBC Fundamental Values: Faith Centered, Relational, Connected to Nature, Participatory and a Fun Safe Person
✔ A team-player, can live in community
✔ Mentoring/Shepherding nature towards other staff and campers
✔ Has a love of camp and people
✔ High energy and outgoing personality
✔ Ability to respect and uphold the rules of camp
✔ Desire to add creative flare to their area of responsibility with passion and ownership
✔ Takes initiative and is a servant leader, self motivated
✔ Handles conflicts appropriately
✔ Has an inclusive attitude
✔ Able to communicate and teach youth
✔ Discerning attitude
✔ Organized and good with logistics
● Provide spiritual guidance and ensure that faith teachings and practices are intertwined throughout all activities, ensuring that it operates in accord with God’s word and is aligned with the Board’s vision and in harmony with Family Camp.
● Assists with camp promotion and strategic marketing, which may include marketing in schools, at camp fairs and at community events to ensure we reach our camper targets.
● Supervisory duties include providing leadership to the camp staff team through pre-season training, coaching, motivating, monitoring performance and providing mid and end-of-summer performance appraisals to ensure staff are meeting the expectations of their role and achieving camp objectives
● Ensures Health & Safety procedures are being followed and maintained, and that the staff team is sharing the duties of keeping the campsite clean, organized and safe in order to meet Health & Safety requirements
● Coordinates daily operations of camp program including creating and completing set up and take down checklists and designing schedules so that all camper groups participate in all the activities
● Monitors the delivery of safe, high-quality programs working to ensure counsellors are delivering programs in line with camp program manuals, have all the supplies they require and are incorporating day camp values. Steps into direct delivery of the program as required
● Oversee the counsellors and campers each day and help solve problems as they arise
● Ensures administrative tasks are completed accurately and on time including all paperwork associated with staff scheduling, camper attendance, parent communication, etc.
● Responsible for parent and staff communication including checking camp email and voicemail daily, responding to all parent inquiries in a courteous and prompt manner (within 24 hours) and that staff are kept informed of any changes in schedule, staff meetings, etc. Relays any performance issues and/or parent complaints to Board Director of Kids’ Camp to ensure they are being resolved.
● Assists with supply purchasing as required; works with Board Director of Kids’ Camp to ensure camp program materials are purchased and adequately stocked throughout the summer to ensure delivery of high-quality camp programs
● Achieves assigned budget, monitors expenditures and ensures purchases are approved and permissible given the assigned camp budget. Submits all receipts and invoices to Board Director of Kids’ Camp weekly.
● Responsible for attending all staff training and meetings;
● Acts as a positive role model for children, youth and fellow staff through embodying the values of PBC, following all PBC day camp guidelines and PBC policies and procedures
● Understands the legal responsibilities and moral imperative to report suspected child abuse to Child Protection Services.
● Other duties as assigned.
Sound foundation in knowledge of Scripture
Minimum 3 years’ experience in a child-oriented programs; experience as a Supervisor an asset
Experience with Summer Camps an asset
Current Standard First Aid and CPR “C” for the duration of contract
Must have a current Police and VS Check Applicants and be able to legally work in Canada
HOW TO APPLY
Should you want to learn more about this opportunity forward your resume, a letter of introduction, in confidence to Nick Dorazio , Pleasant Bay Camp Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org .