ABOUT THE COMPANY
Province Brands of Canada is an Ontario-based premium food and beverage company.
Province Brands’ technology allows the conversion of non-starch plant material,
specifically cellulose and hemicellulose to food-grade sugars. The company’s IP has
applications across the brewing, cannabis functional beverage industry as well as the
Our mission is to transform the way people think about the beverages and sweeteners.
We believe in changing the world for the better by using more sustainable methods for
our beverage production and in providing new choices for consumers.
This innovation allows 1) the use of plants that are not food sources for the world’s
population and, 2) allows the use of plants that would be considered waste materials
from other manufacturing processes and 3) decrease the overall carbon footprint of the
beverage industry by reducing their carbon emissions and waste disposal costs. In
addition, these novel techniques can provide the flavorful and nutritious functional
beverages demanded by health conscious consumers.
To date, Province Brands has created several proof-of-concept foods and beverages. It
has created a premium plant-based hemp syrup that proudly competes with Manuka
honey, agave syrup and yacon syrup in composition and flavour. Brewing it’s hemp
sugars, the company has also produced the world’s first hemp beer, gluten free and
lower calorie. Finally, the company has also launched Yandi Fresh, its first revenue
generating cannabis-infused adult beverage.
The Research Technician will be assisting Province Brands in carrying out biomass pretreatment testing, enzymatic hydrolysis and fermentation as part of the product
development program and the successful candidate will work alongside a team of senior
researchers to improve the technology. The work will include operation of chemical
reactions involved in opening and softening plant structures and enzymatic conversion
of cellulose to glucose and other sugars, sampling and analytical testing for samples at
The most important requirement for this position is a desire to contribute towards the
success of the company, so a strong work ethic and a results-oriented drive for success
are a must. In an early stage technology development company, every member has the
opportunity to contribute their creativity and thoughts to both short-term projects and
A competitive salary will be offered based on the skills.
The position is for a Research Technician with the following specific responsibilities:
● Support the set-up and operation of lab equipment, including analytical (HPLC) and
● Under the direction of a senior researcher, set up and execute enzyme and chemical
process experiments; prepare media, buffers, solutions; understand aseptic
techniques; be able to perform calculations for concentration and wet chemistry,
sampling, lab analysis using methods of wet chemistry, filtration, spectrophotometry,
● Understand and follow experimental protocols
● Maintain accurate records of experiments and results in lab note books.
● Compilation and review of experimental data
● Results reporting to the team
● Responsible for keeping laboratory facilities, equipment, and area in clean, safe
Student enrolled in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) courses,
College Bachelor of Applied Technology or similar, or University Bachelor of Science
degree (BSc.) If a student has declared an interest or emphasis in Biotechnology, Food
Science, Chemical or Biochemical Engineering, this would be preferred.
In addition, courses or an interest in technology development and business
development would also be considered an excellent foundation for this position.
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
● Experience with working in a lab setting and knowledge of lab practices
● Focus on working safely
● Excellent communication and time management skills
● Ability to work independently and as part of a team
● Ability to lift 15-20 Kg on a regular basis
● Meticulous work habits
● Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
● Experience operating an HPLC (optional)
● Experience with enzymatic reactions, fermentation, operation of reactors and
biomass characterization protocols (optional)
KEY COMPETENCIES THAT WILL INFLUENCE THE OVERALL TEAM
● Flexibility/adaptability. Copes effectively with complexity and change. Comfortable
● Able to produce significant output with minimal wasted effort.
● Attention to detail. Organized, methodical, and meticulous.
● Brings new ideas to the company.
● Team-oriented and strong work ethic. Possesses a strong willingness to work hard
to get the job done and setting an example for the team.
● Appropriate balance of confidence and humility.
JOB LOCATION & WORK HOURS
Location: Thorold, Ontario
Hours: 9 AM – 5 PM
Sachin Arora, Bioprocess Scientist : firstname.lastname@example.org
Aditi Das, Research Scientist : email@example.com