Calvary Baptist Church of Gibsons
Solo Pastor – Gibsons BC
Calvary Baptist Church of Gibsons
711 Park Road, Gibsons, B.C. VON 1V7
About Calvary Baptist Church
Calvary Baptist Church of Gibsons (CBCG) is located in Gibsons, British Columbia. We are a
member of Canadian Baptists of Western Canada or CBWC (https://cbwc.ca) and are a
volunteer driven and congregationally led church through our elders.
Church members and adherents number approximately 120, with a current average weekly
in person attendance of 50 people (and increasing, post pandemic restrictions). As the
restrictions change and evolve, the church continues to adapt and support online services
as needed. Calvary is a warm, friendly church, composed of a mix of ethnic backgrounds,
and is made up of people from many Christian traditions.
Gibsons is a waterfront community at the southeast end of the Sunshine Coast. The
Sunshine Coast is well known for its vibrant arts and music communities and exceptional
recreation opportunities including mountain biking, kayaking, and skiing, and is a popular
tourist destination (https://sunshinecoastcanada.com/plan-your-trip/travel-guide-and-maps)
General Position Description
In consultation with the Elders Board, the Pastor provides visionary leadership that
oversees and enables worship services, promotes strategic congregational initiatives,
creates and develops ministries, equips congregants for service, and supervises the office
administrator and custodian.
1. Provide spiritual leadership in all areas of service and endeavour of the church.
2. Provide shepherding through preaching, pastoral care, counselling, evangelism,
community outreach, prayer, and teaching God’s word.
3. Administer the Lord’s supper, baptisms, weddings, funerals, and dedications.
4. Develop and coordinate worship services and preaching.
5. Build/rebuild (post-COVID) the body of believers.
6. Equip the saints for works of ministry.
7. Inspire personal and group action through the mission, vision and values of the church.
8. Guide and support existing ministries (e.g. Sunday school, small groups).
9. Apply theological understanding that is consistent with CBWC and CBCG Faith
Statement (available at https://calvarybaptistchurchofgibsons.ca/?
10. Represent the church at local and general meetings of the CBWC as well as any other
conferences or meetings that the Elders Board designates.
1. Excellent communication skills
2. Knowledge of scripture and Christian doctrine.
3. A collaborative approach to working with other leaders in the church.
4. A Christ-like attitude of humility and a willingness to speak the truth in love.
5. Ability to work independently as well as cooperatively with leadership,
volunteers and able to supervise other staff.
6. Dedication to prayer and study of the Scriptures.
7. Ability to diplomatically handle confrontation and listen respectfully to different views.
8. Self-aware of strengths and weaknesses.
9. Ability to connect with youth, young families, and those exploring Christian faith.
10. Willingness to adapt during these uncertain times (e.g. ability to switch to online
services as needed).
1. Education: theological degree or working towards a theological degree from a
recognized theological post-secondary school.
2. Experience: pastoral experience preferred but not required.
3. Ordained by CBWC; or ordained by another denomination and eligible for ordination with
CBWC, or not yet ordained and eligible for ordination with the CBWC.
Will be commensurate with training and experience; to be fairly negotiated according to the
compensation guidelines of the CBWC. Assistance with finding accommodations will be
Calvary Baptist Church is a member of CBWC, and applicants are asked to use CBWC’s
standard pastoral resume form. Candidates should apply with a Ministry Information Profile
(MIP) – download this from the CBWC webpage
https://cbwc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/MIP-2020-1.pdf and send to the search
committee chairperson at email@example.com with a copy to the pastoral
settlement office at firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications received will be
acknowledged, but only those short-listed will be contacted for an interview.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. The position will remain open until a
suitable candidate is selected.